Camp Cris Dobbin Photos, June 2012

Day 5, 6/13/2012

Scoutmaster J.J. Jakubik


Written by Robert Beasley.  Embellished by Mr. JJ!

As we hit mid-week, the scouts fell into their daily routines with ease. Breakfast, flag raising ceremony, free time, morning classes, lunch, free time, afternoon classes, free time, dinner and evening activities - executed like clockwork everyday.  

The pool remained a problem, but there might be a light at the end of the tunnel--a new boiler was being installed this afternoon.  Is there hope for a warm tomorrow?  We'll have to wait and see. Meanwhile, the full clothing float test was postponed until tomorrow.

Merit badge classes continue and everyone is working to complete them.  Mid-week reports were delivered and it looks like everyone is progressing.

The advancement drive began today.  Conor O passed a board of review (BOR) and became a First Class Scout.  Kyle and Connor B both passed their Tenderfoot Scoutmaster Conference (SMC)--now awaiting a BOR.

Tonight was a special night for all of the scouts. Most of troop 70 split up into two groups. One group headed out for an evening horseback ride to a special dinner location up in the foothills. The other group hiked out for an overnight survival camp under the stars. With little more than a sleeping bag and a pocket knife, the guys were challenged to make it through the night out in the wilderness. 

As is often the case, the best laid plans can be derailed in an instant. Mother nature had a different plan for the evening. As darkness set in, the two groups were faced with a threatening thunder and lightening storm. The contrast between the total blackness of the rain clouds and the streaks of lightening through the night sky was a sight to see. 

The storm proved a better test for our scouts than the original plan for the evening. Several of the older scouts on the overnight team, especially IV M, rose to the challenge and led their scouts safely back to camp. We were very proud of their leadership in the midst of a fair amount of chaos.  

The horse team was faced with the challenge of being 2-3 miles from the corral with approximately 25 horses in a lightening storm. The wranglers advised the scouts to walk their horses down the mountain since the horses could get spooked by the lightening and throw a rider. This was a good test of character, strength and endurance as it was hard to see the trail in the night and the will of a powerful horse is hard to change - when they decide to stop and eat, a mighty yank is required to get them moving again. While a few of the scouts had the pleasure of having their feet stepped on by a horse, everyone survived the adventure with flying colors. 

The casualty count did unfortunately rise today.  Conor O got separated from the group on the march back to camp.  Meanwhile, his stomach started bothering him mightily.  He ended up tossing dinner in the dining hall.  Mr. Gehm found him and the medic took him to the med lodge.  Conor decided that he wanted to stay the night in the med lodge--an option for those who can't stop tossing cookies (preview from Thursday, he wakes up fine in the morning).

For those of you who remember Tres's quarantine incident from 2009, you may be wondering, uh oh, throw up means quarantine, right?  Actually not any more.  The camp (or perhaps the state of Colorado) has wizened up and decided that the medic can use judgement on whether the ailment is a gastro-intestinal issue (requiring quarantine) or just dehydration or what have you.

Meanwhile, Nick C, the worst case of foot stomping, was taken to the med lodge and his foot was wrapped.  He came back to camp and went to bed.  As I was about to go to sleep, I heard voices.  Kendra was checking on Nick and he was in pain.  His foot was throbbing and he was not able to get to sleep.  We tried a couple of things with no success and decided we should take him into Parker to make sure his foot was not more seriously injured.  We woke up Tom Maher to borrow his car and he offered to go with Kendra.  I asked Nick who he would prefer and he said either was fine.  Seeing my opening, I accepted Tom's offer and they drive off to the med lodge then on to Parker.  Some sleep in the car, assurances from the hospital, and some chicken from an all-night Jack-in-the-Box made Nick and everyone else feel better.  The crew arrived back around 4:30am and went to bed (well except for Tom, he stayed up for a 7am conference call).

Needless to say, Wednesday night gave our young men some memories of a lifetime. You are sure to hear it in more vivid detail when they arrive home on Sunday!


Copyright © 2016 Troop 70 Austin Texas, Boy Scouts of America. All Rights Reserved.